Written by Dhatri
Owning a smooth and even-toned skin is still a dream for many. Because hyperpigmentation acts as a barrier to achieving the goal of even-toned skin.
The cosmetic industry is full of skin lightening products, taking your skincare concerns into account. However, a single product is not enough sometimes to get effective results. Moreover, the modern world expects the result very soon and instantly.
So, getting rid of hyperpigmentation requires many skincare activities. Most of the time, there is a necessity to pair one ingredient with another to get maximum results, which is fine to do so. In this pairing activity, the most popular brightener ingredients are alpha-arbutin and vitamin C. Both are potent ingredients that play an important role in skin lightening.
In this article, let’s study the benefits and efficacy of the ingredients and decide which is most fruitful for hyperpigmentation.
Alpha Arbutin: The skincare advantages of alpha arbutin
Alpha arbutin is a natural substance found in mulberry, cranberry, and bearberry extracts. Alpha arbutin has a chemical structure similar to hydroquinone and is referred to as "natural hydroquinone" because it causes less discomfort.
- The water-soluble chemical aids in the fading of dark spots and hyperpigmentation while causing no discomfort. This is important for preventing sunspots and safeguarding the skin.
- Melasma patches and their intensity have been demonstrated to be reduced by alpha arbutin.
- It reduces hyperpigmentation and evens out skin tone.
Vitamin C: The skincare advantages of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is used topically in cosmetics. It's also known as L-ascorbic acid, and it's an important nutrient for skin protection. Vitamin C is found in fruits and vegetables that are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C serums and treatments have a variety of skin advantages.
- Sunlight, stress, pollution, and UV radiation all create free radicals, which vitamin C fights. Vitamin C contains antioxidants that neutralise free radicals and protect the skin from pollutants.
- Collagen is naturally boosted by vitamin C. It increases the skin's firmness and elasticity, giving it a more youthful appearance.
- Vitamin C helps to keep moisture in the body.
Alpha arbutin and Vitamin C together
Together, Vitamin C and alpha arbutin are safe ingredients for all types of skin, and the side effects are very rare. The similar depigmenting actions of both are very effective in the treatment of discolouration of the skin. When alpha-arbutin is combined with vitamin C, their efficacy is increased.
How to use alpha-arbutin and vitamin C together?
Alpha arbutin is water-based whereas vitamin C is oil-based, so the layering of vitamin C should be followed by the use of alpha arbutin. After cleansing, it can be used twice a day. And, the use of Vitamin C can be applied twice a day for better results. During the day, apply vitamin C along with sunscreen to avoid the degradation caused by sunlight exposure.
Thus, pairing these two ingredients or numerous products can increase the possibility of enhancing the skin with a bright even skin tone. These ingredients can be used individually, whereas the combination of Vitamin C with alpha arbutin not only fades the pigmentation but also protects the skin from environmental aggressors. So, use it accordingly to the needs of the skin.