A good moisturising product helps reduce TEWL (water loss from skin). No product can prevent TEWL forever, but it can delay it. Some products claim to give 24 Hr hydration. It means that it can reduce water loss for upto 24 hrs, not prevent it .
Ingredients that Moisturise Skin
1. Humectants - they attract and hold water in skin
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA
- Lactic Acid
- Cocoa Butter
- Mineral oil
- Fatty acids
But you may not need all of them to moisturise your skin!
- If your skin is Oily, you already have enough Occlusives and Emollients in your skin. But, if it is additionally dehydrated, you need to use a hydrating product rich in glycerin or hyaluronic acid or any other humectants.
- If your skin is Combination and dehydrated, You should use a hydrating product and an light emollient and occlusive. Emollients such as coconut oil or almond oil can be pore clogging for some skintypes leadign to acne. Then use lighter emoliients like Jojoba, squalane, or Omega 3 and Omega 6 rich oils like Hemp, Watermelon seed oil etc.
- If your skin is Dry, you need to use a moisturiser with all the three. Just using hyaluronic acid serums will not help. You should use an occlusives/ emollient cream on top of a hyaluronic acid serum.
- If you are very dry and acne prone skin, try a HA moisturiser with Silicones! Silicones are the only Occlusives that are non pore clogging. Some may find siliocnes non skin friendly but they are the least problematic Occlusives.
- Another important aspect is Humidity. What is Humidity in your city? Do a simple google search on your phone. If its more than 50, you are in good enviroment. but if its less than 50, you might need to use emollients and occlusives on top of Hydrating products.
Apart from science how moisturisers improve skin visibily??They increase skin plumpness for some time. So keep applying moisturisers 2-3 times/day.
Skin that is well moisturised can exfoliate itself better than dehydrated skin, so you will actually have softer skin. And many people whose skin is well moisturised notice that they need to use an exfoliator less number of times, as skin itself can do the job better.
Skin that is well moisturised can heal itself better. When skin is hydrated it can do its functions better so that you will notice lesser acne, lesser eczema, less redness, less reactiveness etc.
To summarise, keep your skin hydrated and it can boost your skin’s natural repair and anti-aging ability.